08:05:43 <anitsirk> #startmeeting
08:05:43 <maharameet> Meeting started Thu Sep 25 08:05:43 2014 UTC.  The chair is anitsirk. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
08:05:43 <maharameet> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
08:05:45 <mingard> hi everyone, sorry I'm a little late
08:05:46 <anitsirk> #info Welcome to the 36th Mahara developer meeting. Please state your name and where you are from for the minutes. If you are saying something very long, please put ".." on an empty line by itself to indicate your statement is finished.
08:05:47 <anitsirk> Please feel free to use meeting commands yourself. :-)
08:05:52 <anitsirk> mingard: we just started :-)
08:06:03 <anitsirk> #info anitsirk = Kristina Hoeppner, Catalyst IT, Wellington
08:06:13 <tobiasz> #info tobiasz is Tobias Zeuch, developer at KIT, Karlsruhe, Germany
08:06:14 <anitsirk> oh yea, please put the #info at the beginning of your intro line
08:06:15 <sonn_> #info sonn_, Son Nguyen, Catalyst IT, Wellington
08:06:20 <nigelc_home> #info nigelc_home = Nigel Cunningham, Catalyst IT, Melbourne
08:06:24 <mingard> #info mingard = Jono Mingard, student at Gakushuin University, Japan
08:06:36 <robertl_> #info robertl_ is Robert Lyon, Catalyst IT, Wellington, NZ
08:07:00 <ghada1> #info ghada-laptop = Ghada El-Zoghbi, Catalyst IT, Sydney
08:07:17 <anitsirk> today might be a very short meeting. we'll see. but let's try to make it efficient for everyone. :-)
08:07:21 <anitsirk> #topic  Items from last meeting
08:07:21 <anitsirk> #info Item 1 from last meeting: robert_ look into the reviews permissions to see if the change author problem can be avoided and/or update the wiki page with more info
08:07:28 <anitsirk> robertl_ you are up
08:07:43 <robertl_> I've not been able to look into this further
08:07:56 <robertl_> been busy with release candidate etc
08:08:04 <anitsirk> yeah. way too busy. shall i put it on the next meeting agenda?
08:08:10 <robertl_> will try and find some time before the next meeting
08:08:15 <anitsirk> i'd like to have you find that out instead of tabling it for indefinite
08:08:19 <robertl_> yep roll it over
08:08:34 <anitsirk> #action robertl_ to look into the reviews permissions to see if the change author problem can be avoided and/or update the wiki page with more info
08:08:41 <anitsirk> thank you
08:08:44 <anitsirk> #info Item 2 from last meeting: robertl_ send email to +2 reviewers to vote on Ghada to security team
08:08:58 <anzeljg> hi
08:09:03 <anitsirk> hi anzeljg. right on time. :-)
08:09:04 <robertl_> ghada was voted in to the security team
08:09:11 <anitsirk> can you please state your name for the record?
08:09:11 <robertl_> hi anzeljg
08:09:28 <sonn_> hi anzeljg
08:09:31 <anitsirk> #info ghada was voted into the security team by the majority of the people who could vote
08:09:33 <anzeljg> #info anzeljg is Gregor Anzelj, developer, translator from Gimnazija Bezigrad, Slovenia
08:09:35 <tobiasz> hi anzeljg
08:09:46 <robertl_> and only just the other day got permissions to gerrit sorted
08:09:53 <ghada1> :)
08:09:56 <anitsirk> even better :-)
08:09:57 <robertl_> to allow her to see the security patches
08:10:08 <nigelc_home> Congrats, ghada1 :)
08:10:12 <anitsirk> wasn't that the important bit?
08:10:24 <ghada1> minor issue...
08:10:35 <robertl_> the probem was all the security team before were also admin members of gerrit
08:10:40 <anitsirk> great that all is sorted now.
08:10:46 <nigelc_home> Hehe. So what you're saying is that it's actually more work for her!
08:10:55 <robertl_> so we hadn't realised the perms were on wrong group
08:11:06 <anitsirk> long live the admins
08:11:22 <robertl_> got it sorted out now
08:11:37 <ghada1> so, i can work on security issues now.
08:11:38 <anitsirk> awesome. now nz can go on holiday ;-)
08:11:46 <robertl_> sweet!
08:11:48 <nigelc_home> :)
08:11:52 <ghada1> to Aus to help out with the work?
08:11:59 <anitsirk> lol
08:12:00 <mingard> to Japan to see me :D
08:12:02 <robertl_> hehe
08:12:12 <anzeljg> lol
08:12:19 <sonn_> :D
08:12:27 <anitsirk> mingard: that'll be "any other business". remind me if i forget
08:12:32 <mingard> OK
08:12:39 <anitsirk> ok. moving on before we get out our travel planners.
08:12:41 <anitsirk> #info Item 3 from last meeting:  anzeljg to report back on how much more work is needed to get the converting of old types to new socialprofile types and whether import/export will still work
08:12:42 <anitsirk> #info this item was resolved because the feature is now in RC1 for Mahara 1.10
08:12:50 <anitsirk> finally got it in, anzeljg :-)
08:12:59 <anzeljg> a big thanks to Ghada and Robert
08:13:02 <ghada1> great job anzeljg - that was quite an effort
08:13:04 <anzeljg> and everybody else
08:13:05 <anzeljg> :)
08:13:17 <robertl_> yes - it's very good that got in
08:13:35 <robertl_> makes the mahara look a bit more modern
08:13:39 <anitsirk> do we need to label it experimental because it got in only shortly?
08:13:51 <robertl_> not having to have the old message profile options
08:14:32 <robertl_> it was mostly tested fine - just the leap2a import/export was a bit rushed at the end
08:14:51 <ghada1> i didn't get a chance to look at that unfortunately - the leap2a
08:14:57 <anitsirk> ok. maybe we can focus testing in the rc on leap2a
08:15:01 <anzeljg> will still have RC
08:15:05 <robertl_> so that bit of functionality may be a bit experimental
08:15:11 <sonn_> What did you concern about leap2a?
08:15:24 <anitsirk> robertl_ something to keep in mind for jinelle and eduardo for next week
08:15:45 <robertl_> yep something good for them to test
08:15:53 <anzeljg> anitsirk: do you have interns again?
08:16:08 <ghada1> it was waiting on another  bug in the leap2a to get fixed.
08:16:14 <anitsirk> #info social profile functionality is looking good, but testing leap2 export and import should be looked at closely during rc
08:16:15 <robertl_> sonn_, it was mostly noone but me really tested the import/export and I wrote bits of it
08:16:17 <ghada1> i can't remember the bug number.
08:16:36 <anitsirk> anzeljg: we have a junior tester (jinelle) and a part-time tester (eduardo) on the team now.
08:16:44 <sonn_> I recall it get fixed
08:16:53 <ghada1> ok, that's great.
08:16:57 <anitsirk> #info the catalyst core team is going to get serious with automated functional testing
08:17:07 <nigelc_home> phpunit?
08:17:11 <anitsirk> behat
08:17:14 <nigelc_home> k
08:17:16 <anzeljg> ghada: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1358934
08:17:23 <nigelc_home> Another thing to learn :)
08:17:38 <anzeljg> +1
08:17:39 <ghada1> yep, that's it .. thanks anzeljg
08:17:46 <anitsirk> sonn had already set up a lot of the infrastructure. now we actually need tests written ;-)
08:17:58 <anitsirk> anything else for anzeljg's item?
08:18:11 <anzeljg> not from me
08:18:12 <ghada1> nope.
08:18:25 <anitsirk> ok then.
08:18:27 <anitsirk> drumroll
08:18:34 <anitsirk> ...
08:18:40 <anzeljg> ...
08:18:41 <anitsirk> everybody drumming?
08:18:46 <anzeljg> indeed!!!
08:18:47 <ghada1> and humming
08:18:49 <anitsirk> #topic Mahara 1.10 RC 1 (Kristina)
08:18:49 <anitsirk> #info RC 1 for Mahara 1.10 was released earlier today. See the announcement.
08:18:50 <anitsirk> https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=6463
08:18:50 <anitsirk> #info We invite everyone to give it a thorough testing. please report bugs as usual as new items on the tracker. we will prioritize them and see that we fix the important issues.
08:18:50 <anitsirk> #info according to the latest count, we have 35 new features. some small, but some also quite involved. :-) thank you very much to everyone who contributed.
08:18:50 * robertl_ waits excitedly
08:19:25 <anitsirk> spread the word widely in your circles and ask people to test it on their test instances
08:19:43 <anitsirk> the rc phase is important to find out if there are major issues that would need fixing before the stable release
08:19:54 <mingard> woo! looking forward to seeing these new features
08:20:00 <ghada1> that's great news.  will do!
08:20:08 <anitsirk> one you can already see on the homepage :-)
08:20:22 <anitsirk> See for example: http://master.dev.mahara.org/
08:20:35 <anitsirk> master.dev will be updated to rc1 tomorrow by robertl_
08:20:36 <robertl_> please test on different types of browsers, machines, devices etc
08:20:54 <anitsirk> databases, different previous versions of mahara...
08:21:50 <anitsirk> yeah. thanks heaps to everyone who contributed. we were able to include some great useful things and also improve usability a bit again.
08:21:53 <anzeljg> nice!
08:22:13 <anitsirk> #info please test on different types of browsers, machines, devices, databases, different previous versions of mahara...
08:22:17 <anitsirk> any questions?
08:22:20 <sonn_> I'll update the selenium test cases for the new features tomorrow
08:22:27 <anitsirk> thanks, sonn_
08:22:32 <mingard> no questions, but I like the new create/share/engage look!
08:22:40 <nigelc_home> Mmm
08:22:58 <mingard> now I have a machine than can run VMs properly I'll try to test on a few different systems
08:22:59 <robertl_> evonne has done a stellar job updating the design
08:23:00 <anitsirk> mingard: me, too. t'was an idea from pace university who had spken lengthly with solent about usability, uncluttering the homepage etc.
08:23:27 <anitsirk> they have two buttons (create and share), pace that is. but i thought we'd still need the third part of mahara there. so evonne made three
08:23:40 <anitsirk> and the rollovers are great.
08:23:40 <robertl_> and has made more stuff work with responsive design
08:24:03 <ghada1> what's are user/passwords to log in?
08:24:04 <anitsirk> works well on responsive as well and the buttons can be updated very easily with the lang strings and can thus be repurposes nicely by institutions
08:24:18 <anitsirk> ghada1: create an account. there are no test accounts on that site
08:24:27 <ghada1> ok.
08:24:53 <anitsirk> there is no content of importance in there. it is just a site for users to do testing if they want to see the latest features but can't install a site themselves
08:25:14 <anitsirk> ghada1: let me know when you have an account and i can make you admin
08:25:24 <ghada1> sure, just registered...
08:25:40 <ghada1> waiting for the email.
08:26:13 <anitsirk> right. i'll approve you once you have it.
08:26:21 <anitsirk> shall we move to the next topic?
08:26:26 <ghada1> yep
08:26:39 <anitsirk> #topic Mahara October 2014 Newsletter (Kristina)
08:26:39 <anitsirk> #info if you wish to publish an article in the next newsletter, i will need to have the text tomorrow, friday, 26 september 2014. please send it to newsletter@mahara.org it can be anything technical, event announcement, pedagogical, ideas, questions, search for collaboration
08:27:31 <anitsirk> mingard: if you wish to write a short article about mof and send it to me by end of 30 sept., i can still include that. ;-)
08:27:54 <mingard> OK, i'll see if I have time :)
08:27:59 <anitsirk> just need to have the majority in beforehand so i can prepare the newsletter since next week will be busy with somewhat uncertain internet
08:28:07 <anitsirk> it would only be 100-200 words.
08:28:22 <mingard> ok cool
08:28:28 <anitsirk> and a picture if you want to :-)
08:28:31 <sonn_> what is mof?
08:28:38 <anitsirk> Mahara Open Forum in Japan
08:28:44 <sonn_> ta
08:29:05 <anitsirk> mingard is attending in hiroshima. it's on the weekend.
08:29:17 <robertl_> would the upcoming feature "artefact feedback on view" be worth mentioning in the newsletter?
08:29:27 <robertl_> or has that been mentioned before?
08:29:36 <anitsirk> actually quite fitting to mention it here than under "any other business". they sent an article through last year and since then we know about it. it's already the 4th or 5th MOF
08:30:05 <anitsirk> robertl_ sure. thought that'll not be in until 1.11
08:30:35 <robertl_> I was thinking an upcoming features piece maybe?
08:30:49 <robertl_> what one can look forward to post the 1.10 release
08:30:53 <anitsirk> returning to MOF: and since mingard is currently in japan, it is great that he has time to attend.
08:31:07 <anitsirk> robertl_ yep. do you want to write it or did you want me to mention it?
08:31:25 <robertl_> I can put some words together tomorrow and get to you
08:31:33 <anitsirk> awesome. thank you
08:32:11 <mingard> I'll see if i can do a forum post or something about how it goes (in addition to the newsletter)
08:32:14 <anitsirk> #action robertl_ to write his first mahara newsletter article on an upcoming 1.11 feature, the "artefact feedback on page" one funded by New York Institute of Technology
08:32:22 <anitsirk> mingard: that would be fantastic.
08:32:32 <anitsirk> BTW: mingard: are you in their facebook group?
08:32:47 <anitsirk> they are posting lots of things right now.
08:32:48 <mingard> curious to hear what Japanese people think of mahara, whether they have any different ideas from (for example) the ones raised at Mahara Hui
08:32:51 <mingard> anitsirk: yes
08:33:29 <anitsirk> That's why it's so great you have time to go because you are the only one i think from the core team who can understand japanese :-)
08:33:38 <anitsirk> if there are others: please let us know.
08:33:48 <mingard> well ... I can understand *some* japanese ;)
08:33:55 <anitsirk> :-)
08:34:09 <mingard> and I'll certainly let you know the results
08:34:17 <anitsirk> thank you
08:34:22 <anitsirk> alright. i think we are pretty much through with the meeting as i'm already at
08:34:22 <anzeljg> mingard: more than the rest of us I guess ;)
08:34:36 <anitsirk> #topic Next meeting and chair
08:34:36 <anitsirk> Would thursday, 23 october 2014 at 8 UTC work? http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Mahara+37th+Developer+Meeting&iso=20141023T08
08:35:10 <sonn_> works for me
08:35:16 <anzeljg> fine with me
08:35:23 <mingard> works for me
08:35:29 <anitsirk> NZ note: it's 9 pm
08:35:30 <robertl_> oh, that will start 1 hour later than normal for us nz folks
08:35:38 <tobiasz> fine with me
08:35:39 <robertl_> it's ok for me as well
08:35:44 <ghada1> works for me
08:35:52 <anitsirk> nigelc_home?
08:36:11 <nigelc_home> Yeah
08:36:27 <anitsirk> #info the 37th mahara developer meeting will take place on 23 october 2014 at 8 UTC. See http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Mahara+37th+Developer+Meeting&iso=20141023T08 for your timezone.
08:36:37 <anitsirk> now to the important question: who want to chair the meeting?
08:37:04 <anitsirk> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Mahara+37th+Developer+Meeting&iso=20141023T08 is the time of the 37th mahara dev meeting
08:37:12 <anitsirk> no takers yet?
08:37:14 <robertl_> I can do it again
08:37:23 <anitsirk> robertl_ thank you.
08:37:35 <anitsirk> #info robertl_ will chair the next mahara dev meeting in october 2014
08:37:45 <anitsirk> #topic Any other business
08:38:18 <anitsirk> ok. i have one.
08:38:19 <anitsirk> #info the website https://mahara.org now has a section "Events". Let me know if you organize an event and want to have it appear there.
08:38:30 <anitsirk> just realized, i don't yet have MOF on there. will remedy that in a few minutes.
08:39:02 <anitsirk> does anybody else have any other business?
08:39:12 <ghada1> nope.
08:39:16 <robertl_> not I
08:39:18 <anzeljg> no
08:39:22 <mingard> nope
08:39:28 <nigelc_home> Nope
08:39:31 <sonn_> nope
08:39:35 <tobiasz> no
08:39:41 <anitsirk> then i guess this is a wrap.
08:39:51 <ghada1> the quickest i can recall...
08:40:00 <ghada1> good job anitsirk
08:40:07 <anzeljg> thanks anitsirk
08:40:07 <anitsirk> thank you very much, anzeljg, ghada1, robertl_, sonn_, mingard, tobiasz and nigelc_home for attending.
08:40:20 <ghada1> thanks for chairing!
08:40:25 <tobiasz> thanks anitsirk for chairing
08:40:26 <anitsirk> ghada1: it almost felt like rushing through, but we didn't have much to discuss.
08:40:33 <robertl_> thanks kristina
08:40:34 <anitsirk> #endmeeting